Hidden away from the hustle and bustle of Kirkby-in-Ashfield town centre, Kingsway Park is an outdoor sporting and recreation park covering nearly nine hectares; being the main park within the town, it provides important sports and recreational facilities for local residents.
The park was laid out in 1930 on land sold to Kirkby-in-Ashfield District Council by a Miss Catherine Hodgkinson of Kirkby House. The land was to be used and maintained as a public playing field for the community. Local knowledge confirms that the park changed little in its layout between 1938 and 1976.
Poplars were an important landscape feature, lining the drive from the main entrance on the east side of the park, the western perimeter with the LMS railway line, and to the north as far as the Hodgkinson Road entrance. Many of the poplars on the western perimeter still survive today. A mixed row of oak and ash and other native trees bordered the remainder of the northern perimeter. Ornamental trees formed avenues within the park.
With top of the range sporting facilities including all-weather pitches, grass football and cricket pitches, tennis and basketball courts, bowls facilities and new changing rooms for clubs and groups, Kingsway Park stands out as one of the best sports parks in the area.
A state of the art skate park and parcour unit, a bandstand for events along with wide open recreation areas make Kingsway Park a fantastic venue for visitors of all ages.